Thursday, May 8, 2008

Miracles- just the beginning

So we were laying in bed this past Sunday morning and Colin reminded me that it was fast sunday. Dang it!!! I struggle with fast sunday because I love to cook a yummy breakfast on sundays. Being the faithful guy that he is he suggested that we fast for strength and peace as we prepare for and go to our apppointment on Tuesday. Well I fasted all day with a prayer in my heart that our appointment would go well and I have felt the blessings pour out all week.
We had our first IVF consult on Tuesday and it went really well. Even though I have done endless amounts of research on IVF I wasn't prepared for all of the emotion that I felt during the appointment and the rest of the day. Our doctor, Dr. Gibson, was wonderful. He was very friendly and patiently answered our long list of questions. The source of my emotions was from the fact that I want a baby so badly and I felt so anxious because I know this is going to be a long process and I just need to be patient. Both Colin and I were overwhelmed and exhausted. We came home after the appointment and hardly talked about the appointment because we both were so stressed out. But on Wednesday and since then we have been feeling great and able to talk about everything.
Miracle #1
Our doctor wants me to get tested to see if I am a carrier for the CF gene before he sees us again. The reason why I didn't get tested before our appointment was because our insurance did not cover it ( ~$1200, not just pocket change to us!). Our doctor pressed us strongly to get it done so we know what to expect as we continue the IVF process. After the appointment Colin and I decided just to suck it up and pay the $1200 to get screened. Colin called our insurance one more time (I tried once a few months ago with no luck) to explain our situation in the hopes that they would cover it. The next day we got a call from our insurance and they decided they would cover it as long as we went to genetic counseling which was fine with us! That was amazing. We have an appointment with the genetic counselor May 19th .
Miracle# 2
Our doctor told us about a private organization that gives a gift of IVF to couples each year. You have to be referred to this group by your doctor and then you have to meet certain requirements, which we do. Today we met a woman who gave us the application. We can't submit the application until June 24th (our 2 year anniversary) because one of the requirements is that you have to be married 2 years. The only drawback about this is that it takes them 2-4 months to let you know if you are granted the gift. We want to start IVF before then but after much discussion we feel that to wait a few extra months to get pregnant at the chance that it would all be paid for is worth it. To have our IVF paid for would truly be a miracle, a gift that we could never pay back, a gift to have our very own, precious baby.
As I said before, nothing could have prepared me for the strong emotions I have felt this week. I feel extremely blessed to have found a great doctor, a great clinic, an opportunity to apply for financial assistance, have insurance pay for my CF screen and most of all the opportunity to have a baby.

5 comments:

Emily and Aaron Carter said...

I'm so glad that everything went well at the appointment. I can just imagine all the emotions you must have felt and are continuing to feel as you begin traveling this road. There is a couple in my ward that went through IVF a few years ago and have a beautiful two year old. They just did it again and she is now pregnant with twins. I have absolute faith that all will work out for you and we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. That's great that the testing is paid for, just hope that ALL will be paid for. That would be amazing!

Sara and Dustin said...

I have been thinking of you guys and waiting for your update! That is wonderful news. I get so anxious to have a baby too, and everytime my eyes fill up with tears. I hope that you can get the gift, that would be just so great!!!!!

Julie said...

I am so happy to hear this,this is amazing news. I hope that you guys get the IVF paid for! That would be incredible. I'll keep checking back for updates and keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers!

Mel said...

Mand, I just checked this blog again so this is the first time I've been updated about all of this. This is the coolest thing! It must be such an emotional roller coaster and will just get more and more crazy I imagine. I'm glad everything is going well. Let me know if I can do anything to help!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

That's so AMAZING. I'm so glad things are looking up for you two.