Friday, December 19, 2008

FSH

Today I was out Christmas shopping and I got a call from the coordinator. She told me that my FSH levels had not been drawn which is one of the qualifiers for the scholarship. I don't know how we missed this. I thought we had done everything we needed to but apparently not. I just figured somewhere in all of the blood work the clinic had all the information they needed. The coordinator was reassuring though. All of my nursing books are packed away but my understanding is that the follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) stimulates production of eggs and indicates the age of the ovaries or the ovarian reserve (aka if you have enough ovaries and if they are in good shape). FSH levels are also used to determine the production of sperm in a male, Colin's levels were normal. I wanted to run into the lab today and get it done but the catch is that it has to be drawn on day 3 of your menstrual cycle. Luckily I am on birth control now and I start my sugar pills Monday. Meaning that my period should start soon and I am just hoping that day 3 doesn't fall on Christmas because I don't know if the lab will be open. Ahhhhh, the stress! But it is exciting at the same time because it means that the committee will probably be meeting soon. I suspect after the holidays.

7 comments:

Mel said...

Aaa, I hate surprises like that. If your sugar pills start Monday, then your period should start Wednesday, which puts day 3 on Friday, the day after Christmas. Hopefully the lab will be open then! Good luck.

Emily and Aaron Carter said...

At least they caught it now, before the committee had their meeting. That is so frustrating though. Mel sounds right, we'll keep our fingers crossed!

With love from the Alvarez family said...

Aaa! That sucks at least they caught it befofe hand! You will get your test done soon!

Nycole said...

Absolutely awesome! Good luck!

Christensen's said...

OH NO! That is enough to scare you! Well, I hope things work out with your cycle and going to the lab! I hope they do meet shortly after the new year!!Good luck with everything!

妳好 小可愛 said...

Hello,

I am an MA student at CSM (Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design) in London. And, I am doing my major project: briefly, the concept is about to create a design which is attempted to help couples to reduce the stress during fertility treatment. I did some research and found you blog. Is it possible for me to ask your experiences and needs (with no personal questions) during the treatment by email?
Please reply me if you could do me this huge favor.
Thank you

Best wishes
KC Kao

Sara and Dustin said...

Hey Mandy!
Glad to see you back on here :-) Good Luck with everything!!!