Friday, June 5, 2009

Nausea

It kicked in really bad about this time last week. So many smells and foods that I normally love now make me gag. For example, Colin's deodorant, once loved now can't stomach. Slightly burnt popcorn, used to love now am disgusted. The list goes on and on. What is most frustrating is that at the time where my nutrition is essential for the growing babies I don't enjoy food. Me of all people, not enjoy food! It is craziness. I force myself to eat and make sure it counts. Try to get my fruits, veggies, dairy, whole grains and proteins in. I love cottage cheese, for a few bites a least, before I want to chuck the cartoon in the garbage. And I am having loads of cravings. Yesterday for lunch I had a grilled cheese with a heaping side of mashed potatoes and gravy. That actually went down well until I felt sick from it for the rest of the afternoon. The other night I had to have fried rice (normally never want Chinese food). That of course was good too until the sight of it left me with visions of kneeling at the porcelain thrown. The one thing I must say that I have LOVED is ginger ale! Ummm, good! However I limit myself to one glass a day then spend the rest of the day trying to drink double the water to negate the bad effects of soda on my body. To say the least, my definition of nausea has dramatically changed. To all of you with an appetite, eat all the yummies for me! In other news, our first ultrasound is next Wednesday. Update to follow.

7 comments:

Mel said...

I can't believe you're already so nauseated! Isn't the worst to not love food? You really can't judge a pregnant woman who eats chips and soda her whole first trimester; if that's all she can stomach that's just the way it is. Don't limit yourself to one soda a day, I say! It's like the thing that saved me with my 2 sick pregnancies. Gingerale, 7-up, the only yummy things in the world. Your baby(ies) will take ALL the nutrients they need and be just fine. Of course drink water, too, but don't beat yourself up if all you can eat are doritos and sprite! :) You'll make up for it when you're feeling better and can eat salads and stuff again. Good luck!

You will appreciate food so much when the sickness is over.

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Ugh! I didn't think morning sickness started so early! Poor thing. I hope it subsides. A friend of mine couldn't even open her refrigerator because she said it "smelled funny". ha! I guess you'll have to tell Colin he can't wear deodorant, although I don't know which would smell worse. :) Hang in there!

Lauren said...

The only thing that helped my nausea was to always have food in my stomach. It didn't go away completely but the nausea was definitely more intense when I was hungry. It took me a long time to figure this out. I hope it works for you too. Good luck.

With love from the Alvarez family said...

I feel ya! I got so sick with my last one. I got it the first and third trimesters. Nasty stuff smells are the worst, lol! but dont hold back on all the good stuff that you want. The babies will have everything that need from you.

Mama Coons said...

I have to say soda crackers by the bed, dry toast in the morning...lay down a foundation of something so the nausea is tolerable, or at least you won't vomit out of the gate in the morning! The good thing is all this means the baby(ies) are cooking along! Yeah!

Christensen's said...

Cant wait for the ultrasound update! Sorry you are having such a bad time with the morning sickness! I hope it will not last longer then the 1st trimester for you! Good luck!

Janene said...

Everyone told me it was good to be nauseated! I lived on bullion when I was pregnant with Alison. I would eat and then go throw up in the sink and James would turn around and say "are you burping mom?" "Yeah a real big burp!" I would answer. It was so gross. But I just ate a little bit at a time and kept bullion in my tummy and I was fine. Dont eat if you are going out, in case you have to loose it. It is easier to get sick at home! Sorry for all the details but it was strange, Ali was the only one I had nausea with!