Thursday, June 18, 2009

Baby Update

Here is our 8 week ultrasound of our beautiful baby! He/she has a heartbeat of 159 bpm, is growing little hands and a head. So cute!!!

This morning I woke up from what has felt like a very long dream. The last week and a half has been a whirlwind of ups and downs, joys and sorrows. Although bittersweet I feel a sense of relief and peace. I am less anxious and more confident that I can carry my baby to full term.

When I went to the dr. last week because I felt so sick they discovered 3 healthy heartbeats. There was 1 fraternal twins and a set of identical twins that had split from one embryo. We were pregnant with triplets. We called all of our family and close friends to tell them the news. Colin was so excited and I was so scared and anxious because I am a NBICU nurse and I know how high-risk triplets are. Although super anxious and overwhelmed we still loved each baby and wanted them here with all our hearts. And over the last week and a half we began to accept the idea of triplets and begin to feel like we could do this!

Well we went into the dr yesterday to see how our babies were progressing before being transferred over to our high-risk dr. for multiples. First we saw baby A who had a heartbeat, little hand nubs and a head and measured exactly 8 weeks. Then we began to look at baby B who was developed as well as baby A but we could not find a heartbeat. Baby B was measured to 7 weeks and 6 days, one day behind his/her fraternal twin. Then baby C we were not able to see really well at all. The dr. thought there might have been blood in the sac. No one really knows what happened between last week and this week but we lost our identical twins. I have no idea but I think something went wrong with baby C first and it caused baby B distress since baby B was growing and progressing as well as baby A up to one day before our 8 week ultrasound.

Yesterday was a sad day for us, although bittersweet. Even though our identical twins were so tiny they still had heartbeats last week, they were still our babies and we were ready to love them and be their parents. Overwhelmed at the thought of triplets yes, but excited nonetheless. It was also a sense of relief that I would not spend weeks on bed rest, have to stop working at 20 weeks when we really need me to work, spend weeks in the NBICU, etc. No matter what Colin and I know that the Lord has His reasons. We know that the Lord is blessing us through all of this and all will be well. He is in control and we are glad it is that way. We mourn the loss of our identical twins and are so thankful for our beautiful baby A and pray that he/she will not become distressed by the loss of our identical twins, stay strong and stay with us.

We love you all, thank you for your support! This is a journey and we are glad you are along for the ride with us! Thank you!

9 comments:

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Oh my gosh Mandy. I'm so sorry to hear of your experiences this last week. What a lot of ups and downs. How hard that must have been.

I'm so glad your little Baby A is doing well! Continued happy thoughts your way!! I'm sure he or she is a fighter who wants to be with you just as much as you want them! :)

S said...

Mandy, I'm so sorry! I know that you still have another little baby coming, but that's so hard to lose one, let alone two! And even though they weren't too far along, that's still two losses for you guys, and that has to be so hard! You must be going through so many ups and downs. When I lost one (at about the same time) I spent the whole day crying (and being angry), I can't imagine what two does to you! Good luck and I'll be thinkin about you guys!

Christensen's said...

Wow. I am so sorry. I can only imagine what you guys have gone through in the past week. I am glad there is still baby A in there! You guys will be in our thoughts and prayers! Hang in there. You have the right attitude, and I am so glad you have the gospel to help give you some sort of perspective, or reassurance with how things are. Good luck in the coming weeks and appts!

Nycole said...

Oh goodness, I am sorry. What a sad thing- bittersweet is definitely the word. How blessed you are to be pregnant! The Lord definitely knows what's going on, so that is comforting. Congratulations, Mandy. I am so so happy for you guys.

Mama Coons said...

At least you were willing to have 3! We will pray for our remaining to grow well, healthy & to full term! Love you

Mindy said...

I was really sorry to hear about the twins, Mand. I'm praying for you!!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

That's really sad Mandy. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you will be equally happy to have your healthy Baby A when he/she arrives. Keep up the good work Mommy.

Mel said...

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry you guys! I was so sad when I heard and then after reading this post I'm so glad you both have such faith and can feel peace about it, even though I know it must be really hard. I will be praying for you, Colin, and your sweet little Baby A!

anonymous said...

I am really, really sorry that happened. I heard that it's really common to have "twins" and lose one in the first few weeks. I'm glad you have a healthy baby now.
--Cat