Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lupron injections begin

I started my lupron injections on Easter sunday. Colin and I video taped the first injection. I thought about posting it but figured it would be pretty boring to everyone else but ourselves. Colin gave me the shot on the first day and when I realized it didn't hurt I have been able to do it myself yesterday and today.
On Monday Colin had to work so I had no choice but to give it to myself. Colin called later and told me he was sad he couldn't be there to watch me give the injection because he said he wanted to be apart of the experience. That made me smile all day.
Today I had to sneak into the bathroom at work to give the injection. It was pretty gross to give the shot in the public bathroom but I did my best to keep everything sanitary. Everyday I am still nervous to get the shot but then relieved that it didn't hurt.
So far so good. I haven't experienced any side effects. I have been trying to drink lots of water to prevent dizziness.
Saturday is the last day of the birth control pills and next week I continue on with the Lupron. We go to the clinic for an ultrasound next week.

What is Lupron for?
To my understanding, Lupron is supposed to suppress the ovaries from spontaneous ovulation. Suppressing your ovaries allows the dr. optimal control over ovarian stimulation which allows for even growth of ovarian follicles once they start giving the other medications (FSH).

I stop taking birth control on Saturday and should expect my period sometime next week. The ultrasound next week is for the docs to see if the Lupron has suppressed my ovaries to a baseline state, aka a fresh starting point.

6 comments:

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

What a strong woman you are! I don't think I could inject myself. You are crazy brave Miss Mandy!

jcm6808 said...

Hey Mandy!

I would start drinking lots of Gatorade! That's what my Drs. recommended. I drank 2-3 bottles a day. The electrolytes are good for you.

Just offering some info since I just went through what you are going through!

I am so excited for you!

~Emily

With love from the Alvarez family said...

Congrats to you both!!!!!!! You are so brave.

Mel said...

I'm always SO excited when I see something updated on this blog. Keep it up! We're all so happy for you.

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

You are so brave. I couldn't stomach giving myself the shots. I had my husband give me every one of them. And mine hurt. Was it all in my head?? :) Who knows, needles just aren't any fun. Keep up the good work and positive outlook! I'm rooting for you!!

JDM said...

Incredible. We are so excited for you guys. We are following you down memory lane. We had the exact same injection calendar, the shared memories of the first round of shots, etc. We will pray for you as soon as we finish this comment.

Congratulations. From this vantage point any amount of shots and crazy hormones is worth having these little guys in our home. Good luck.