Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ovary Awareness

What are supposed to be the size of almonds feel like the size of small apples. Yes thats right my ovaries are swollen or as the dr said "plump and juicy". And I am feeling it. I have never been more aware of my ovaries in my life. I feel them when I laugh, after I eat, when I have a full bladder, when I walk to fast, bend over, lay down and even our nightly ritual when Colin puts his arm across my stomach and I tickle it hurts these days. Its only been the last few days that I have started to really feel discomfort. So here is the update.

Monday, May 4th, 9:30am
We went in for our first ultrasound on Monday morning. The dr. was beaming when she saw how "plump and juicy" my ovaries were. There were lots of follicles on both the left and right ovary but the ones on the left were more mature and numerous. (FYI one follicle contains one egg) She (the dr.) was undecided about whether I should go one more day on all of the meds or come in for the retrieval on Wednesday. She said it would depend on my estrogen levels. So after the ultrasound they took my blood and told me they would call later with the game plan. When they did call, several hours later, they said to stay on my FSH, Lupron and Repronex one more day and come in for another ultrasound in the morning. My estrogen was around 1260 and so they thought if I did everything one more day it would produce a few more "ripe" eggs.

Tuesday, May 5th, 8:30am
Back again for the 2nd ultrasound. Colin and I were amazed and the dr was thrilled that both ovaries had grown so much in just 24 hours (actually it was only 23 if were are being precise). I was sure feeling it too! So she told us to prepare for the egg retrieval on Thursday, May 7th! They took my estrogen level again and it was 1905 which was right were they wanted it. So they instructed me to take my hcg shot at exactly 8:30 pm and that I was done with all the other 3 shots (wahoo!). The hcg shot needs to be given exactly 36 hours before the egg retrieval because it releases the eggs so the doctors can catch them. This really is a science. Anyway this was the first of more to come intramuscular injections! Ahhhhh! Colin did the honors and like a champ darted it right into my bum bum! As if it didn't hurt enough we realized that he had left about 0.6 mls of hcg in the bottle. So we had to draw the rest up and give it another go! So I got 2 IM injections last night, don't you wish you were me? Needless to say I couldn't lay on my right side when I was trying to go to sleep. Oh well!

Wedensday, May 6th
Today is my day off from all shots and I am happy. Colin is home too so we are just getting our chores done and the house clean so that we can lounge around tomorrow after the retrieval and biopsy. He was outside spraying the lawn with fertilizer and came in to find me deep cleaning the kitchen. He made me put my mop down and lay down because he said I was only supposed to do light cleaning. Busted! At least before I got banned to bed I got the dishes done, cleaned the oven, cleaned out the fridge, swept and got half the floor mopped. Ha ha!
So tomorrow is the big day and feeling excited and ready! I'm just praying they will get some good sperm and good eggs to make our little embryos!

2 comments:

Mel said...

That's all so exciting! I'm so glad you feel comfortable enough to share all the details with your readers. My heart was pounding as I was reading this, it's all so amazing and interesting! Good luck tomorrow.

Nycole said...

SO excited for you! I was wondering when I would hear from you next. I remember that ovary discomfort too well, but it's a good discomfort because you know you body is doing what the doc's want it to! I hope and pray everything went well for you today, and you are getting a lot of rest. Hopefully they pulled out MILLIONS (haha) of eggs so you can freeze a whole bunch of embryos and never do this again! Can't wait to hear- post as soon as you're able!